Thursday, March 8, 2018

My whimsical garden quilt...in progress

Back in 2011, I purchased this pattern and wrote a post on it!!  That was 7 years ago?  Oh, heavens.  Over the course of those years I did the following in hopes that I would get to making the quilt.

1.  I cut up the 12in by 12in white background blocks and stored them in my storage room.  (I eventually started using those blocks for other projects and when I pulled them out a couple weeks ago I only had 12 left of the original 20.  Oh well.)

2.  I copied all of the pages of the pattern and put the pieces in little ziplock bags for each block.  This took FOREVER!!!  I am actually glad now that I am working on this quilt that I took the time to finish all but a couple blocks like this 7 years ago, because honestly, if I had had to cut them out right now and then cut out each applique piece and then iron them on and then sew around them...ya, I would have lost steam.  However, I find that my go to/get it done personality that I only have the patience for max 3 steps on a project and I will still have the energy to keep going.  If I hadn't cut those papers out, I would never have gone onto each block.



3.  I collected orange and green fabrics.  A 1/2 yrd here or these and put them in a bag.

4.  I got really frustrated a month ago with not being able to find anything I wanted in my storage room.  So, I finally went and got containers for my fabric and sorted all my fabric out.

...and that was what finally did it. I saw the pattern, I saw the white cut out blocks and thought, what am I waiting on?  However, as I got into cutting out the appliques for the first block I realized 2 things.  If I hadn't organized my fabric I would have lost my energy really quick on this project.  It is so fun to just grab the entire basket of reds and sort through for the perfect combination with the perfect orange.  I still wish I had a couple more red prints but I am determined to only use what I already have, so that is that.  2nd.  I am finally a point in my personal life where I can truly enjoy the journey of working on a long project block by block and not get frustrated when I don't have time or it is taking too long.  I couldn't have even said that about myself 3 months ago.  However, I was ready to take on a project when I have to applique 20-45 pieces per block for 20 blocks.  It is going to take a couple months but here is the beginning....


Since finishing these 3 blocks 2 weekends ago, I have finished 3 more blocks.  I will have to post them soon. I am so glad that I also waited until after I finished the mini bird house quilt and buying the border fabric for that quilt because it is going to be absolutely perfect for this quilt.  I am not going to add all the circles from the pattern on the border.  I just know that I will get to that point and not be interested.  I will try and keep up with posting each block as I do them!!  I will also take some close ups of each block the next time I post pictures.

Hope you enjoyed!!

No comments: