Saturday, September 25, 2010

My grandma and my gift to her..

Last Christmas I was working on finishing all my half-finished projects. You saw pictures of most of my projects during my mini-quilt post. However, I didn't take pictures of the table runners that I finished. One of the table runners I finished for my grandma. It was a rough time with my grandma...I was half-way through my pregnancy with my daughter and I was visiting my grandparents. I was taking by my finished sewing projects and when I got there I found out that she wasn't feeling really well and when my grandpa helped her to the bathroom he started yelling for help. She had passed out while she was on the toilet. It was all that I could do to keep her up as I told my grandpa to call 911. It was a very rough afternoon. Her colon was twisted twice and they found her cancer at that point. She has slowly been feeling worse and worse. It is really hard for me since they are the only grandparents I have know through my life. My moms parents died in a tragic accident when I was only 3. I lived with them off and on through the years I was in college. It was wonderful. I got to know them so well.

Well, I know that that was not a completely necessary story, but what I felt that I wanted to share. I made this table runner and gave it to her when she got home on Christmas Day from a two week stay in the hospital. It is sitting on her kitchen table that they don't use anymore and she has put all her willow tree figurines on it. I love the colors and how this turned out.

No comments: