Sunday, September 5, 2010

My new toy!!!

So, while the baby took an incredibly long nap the other day I did some surfing on the internet. I know that that is not the greatest use of time. I really thought that i she was going to wake up so that I could run some errands. Two and a half hours later, she finally woke up and I had discovered a new toy that I went and bought for myself for my birthday this week. I love making bindings that match the project that I am working on. Since I first learned how, I have always made my own and not used a store bought one. (well, with the exception of the binding I used on the car seat because I wanted a bright solid color and buying a pre-made one was a lot cheaper) Well, as anyone who knows me can tell you...i am a super accident prone person. So would it surprise anyone that when i use an iron I am constantly getting burned? Probably not.

When I use an iron to make my bindings I either get my fingers too close to the tip of the iron while I am holding over the side it am ironing in half, or the steam gets going and my hand just gets to close to it. I have decided since I make a living using my hands to play the piano that I need to find a different way of making bindings. Well, I saw Simplicity's Bias Take Maker Machine in Nancy's Notions catalog that i get in the mail. I went online to find out more about it. It is the most awesome machine. I watched several videos on YouTube about how to use it and how wonderful it is. However, after doing a search on the cost of the machine I decided that I might want to wait and see what else I could find. I simply am not going to spend $50-100 just for a machine.

Well, nancy of nancy's notions did a demonstration of a small Bias Tape Maker. After I saw this video I went staight to JoAnns's website and found a 1" Bias Tape Maker. The link will show you what I was looking at and it is on sale right now for 40% online. However, i decided to go look at it in the store. Dritz had one that was 1", cheaper and I bought it. It was on sale for 50% off for labor day weekend. Bonus!!!! This is going to be perfect. No more burning my fingers!!!! So I was reading some reviews online and found a blog called Craft Critique.com. Awesome!!! I will be checking this site more often for all the things that I want to know more about. I can't wait to show you all the things that I am going to make with this new gadget. I am going to be using to finish the bindings for my latest project that I really hope to finish this week.

1 comment:

Amelia said...

Happy birthday to you!!!