Monday, July 4, 2011

Can't live without it- part 3

Today I am posting about the only addition that I have added to my sewing maching....but the most money saving addition I could have made. I have a little bit older basic Bernina machine. When I first started quilting and realized how much money it costs to have a long arm quilter work on my quilts I started asking friends about how they quilted their quilts and researching on the internet how to quilt on my own machine. (I think that it was around that time that I started making small wall hangings because i knew that I could sew those myself at home and that I would be able to quilt them myself too, even if I had to do it by hand.)

If you are going to do any of your own quilting you really need a darning foot. Here is a picture of my machine. I did not think that my basic machine would be able to quilt..but sure enough it can. Sorry for some reason I could not get a non-blurry picture and after about fifty tries this the best I could do today.
Different view

My foot cost about $40. It was about twice the cost of a foot for newer and more expensive model machines, but totally worth the one time cost. I have probably saved myself in the last month alone around $200 of what I would have paid a long arm quilter to quilt for me.

I did a lot of research about how to quilt on your own machine..on the internet, reading books from the library, asking workers in various quilting stores and just trying things out on my own machine. Seriously it is one of the easiest things in the world to do on my own machine. The only thing that would make it better is if I had a table where my machine sat down inside the table or if I had a long extension on my arm to keep the quilt a little flatter. Right now I am using game boxes placed around my machine, but eventually my husband says he can make me an arm extension...maybe that is what I will ask for for my 30th birthday this year...hm...

Well to close up i thought that I would add a couple link to posts I found on machine quilting. You can youtube machine quilting and get some great videos too. It is awesome.

Crazy Mom Quilts.
The free motion quilting project blog.

Hope that you enjoyed.

No comments: