Thursday, February 1, 2018

Baby birdhouse mini quilt

Tues morning I headed to the fabric store to find some fabrics to go along with this pattern that I had found in easy Quilts pg. 70, Summer 2011 edition and left open to make...back in 2011.  I saw this magazine when I was frantically cleaning out my storage room after a mouse infestation we had over the holidays.  Somehow, I luckily avoided my fabric getting caught in the mix of the mouse disaster.  They didn't nest in it, they didn't shew it or poop or pee on it...even though they ran around next to it.  But yuck, after I finally killed the 7th one, we have been mouse free and a clean house again.  I think they may have come in a box of mason jars from my cousins garage on their farm that I had stored in our storage room for a bit.  Apparently this week was the week to make it after all this time.  I am soooo glad that I went to look for this magazine this weekend because I finally found all the other patterns I have been searching for that I would like to finish and make. 


I was all packed up for an 1+ drive out to my best friends house to sew.  Her birthday is this weekend and I thought it would be fun to sew something up for her and spend time together.  I sent her picture after picture as I was in the fabric store looking for the right combination of fabrics and this is what we decided on. 


We sat at her kitchen table and cut up all the applique pieces and got them ironed on.  I made the pattern 148% bigger than the original, so it came out to 12" by 28" final quilt top. 


The flower on the top of the bird house I thought was a dragonfly the whole time, but it turns out it is just a flower.  Haha.  I find that to be funny.  It had taken me too long to pick out fabric that I had to leave to head home before we got the quilt quilted and bound.  So I came home yesterday and got it all finished.  I think that it turned out super great and can't wait to see it to her with her family for her birthday party. 


I especially love the knot in the wood in the birdhouse stand.  The wood fabric was a find at the quilt store as I was standing waiting for the lady at the cut counter to finish cutting other fabric. 


When I was first putting the border fabric on the quilt, I was thinking that it just didn't match, but it really just give it such a whimsical brightness that is soooo much fun!!  


This was such a fun quilt sew and I am super glad that I had the time to make it on the week of her birthday.  Hope that you enjoyed!!

No comments: