Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Finished Christmas Dresden Quilt

Is it true?  Am I coming back to post a finished picture of this quilt?  Yes, yes I am.  Here it is!!




I think that I will post the picture backwards in this post.  Ha!  From finished project to the finished top..

From a finished dresden that needs to be attached to backing...


To trying to decide if I should do a white center on the block or a Christmas colors center circle....


To the beginning where I have no idea what to say next.  Haha! But I have so much to say.  I purchased an acrylic dresden ruler when I started this project.  I have used it many times and it was totally worth it.  I knew that I had always love and had a fascination with dresden's so it was super fun to have a great tool to use to make them.  I don't care for attaching the centers of the blocks.  It is definitely not my favorite part.  However, I learned to make a cardboard center piece, sew around it like an English Paper piecing piece, iron and pop out the middle to get the exact shape.  

In the end I did decided on the white interior.  When the Christmas fabric was there it seemed just so muddled and hard to see the outside shape really well.  I tried to machine quilt the middles with a continuous circle.  Yep, that was a total fail.  I don't really care for how it turned out and there definitely must be a better way to do it than I did, but it was fun to try.  

The border fabric is some of my favorite Christmas fabric I have ever sewn with.  When I found it at JoAnn's one year, they didn't have a full yard.  It was the first time I have ever asked them if they could find a place that had a few yards.  I knew then that I would just cherish it and use it for everything.  It just had the right amount of deep red with a small gold print that it would go with most Christmas fabrics with more traditional colors.  They found a place with a whole bolt....all the way in Salt Lake city on Redwood Road.  I had some errands I needed to run that direction, so I packed up my child, drove up and got the rest of the bolt.  Now what..probably 5-6 years later, I am glad I did it.  I still just love it each time I cut it and attach it to something.  

Hope you enjoyed.  

No comments: