Saturday, February 10, 2018

Organizing my fabric

Last Friday I went to find a fabric I knew I had to finish a quilt.  I walked into my storage room and about lost it throwing fabric off the shelves trying to find what I was looking for.  This was the 4th time last week I had done it looking for something and I had had it.  I had the morning off work so I ran to walmart to buy some cheap baskets that I also use in my deep freezers to organize food.  I wasn't sure how many I would need so I just purchased a bunch of various sizes.  (I went back hours later to get more and someone else had apparently needed the same thing that day because they were sold out of one size that had had 20 on the shelf and at least that many on the top of the shelves that I had seen.)  I took every piece of fabric I had in boxes, in my storage room, on my sewing table, in my bedroom...you name it and I put them all in a basket.  After 3 hours, I had finally figure out how to organize it...some with holiday fabrics, some with large prints and the rest into colors and I put them in the storage room and labeled the baskets.  It was TOTALLY worth it!!!!!  I went to find something this week and I was able to find it quickly.  I just wish I had done this years ago.  

Before


After


No, I don't think it is ideal that there is a row behind the front row.  However, in the next few months I will be taking some of these baskets and adding them to the cupboards my husband is putting in a sewing area for me.  I was able to take and put the baskets in those cupboards before filling them so that I knew that they would fit well at that time.  So, this 2 rows thing is not long term which makes it even better and more exciting.  I already organized for the moment that the big move happens.  So exciting.  

Hope you enjoyed!!

No comments: