Saturday, November 15, 2014

Christmas Dresden

I have wanted to make a dresden quilt forever!!!  Seriously.  I have pinned more dresden quilts than any other kind of quilt.  About a year ago I bought one of those easy dresden acrylic templates.  After reading several tutorials over the past few weeks, I also watched this youtube tutorial by the Missouri Star Quilt Company.  http://youtu.be/lcy_p4pryE4

Anyways, this is a short post because I have to go get the kids out of bed and to the babysitter this morning before I head to work.  I decided it was time to try on of these quilts last night.  Soooooo, about 9:30pm I got out my Christmas Fabric.  Yes, I always sew really late.  It is the only time I have.  I ironed, picked out fabric, reviewed the tutorial, cut a 5 inch strip of fabric from 6 different fabrics and got going.  The chain sewing of each individual piece certainly made the sewing of 100 different blades go super fast.  At 10:15 I was ready to iron all those pieces which took about 20 minutes by the time I turned each one of them out.  I sewed one block together and ironed.  I pull out some white fabric to lie it on and here we are!!!!


I didnt' find my instructions sheet until later last night.  It has the template for the middle circle.  Mine turned out a 1/4 in bigger than the template.  Do you think it looks too big on the block?  I already whip stitched it to the block, but that only took 2 minutes so it is easy to pull off if i want to change it.  Whatever i decided on this one, I would follow on the other blocks.  I am planning on a small 4 block quilt.  I am also going to cut a set of smaller blades to make one Christmas quilt pillow cover like this.  Now, that will be super super cute!!!  I am so excited.  Now that I look at the picture again I wonder whether I should pull the center off all together and make it white.  I think I have enough of the fabric I used for the center circle to make the border for my quilt. That would be beautiful.  I want it to pop and when I look at the previous picture and this one the middle pops more when there isn't anything in there.  I really like that I chose the white background.  I was going to choose and off white fabric to match the tons of all the pieces in the block, but I love the white.

At the end of each night...that moment when all I want to do is go hop in bed, I always make sure to put away my rotary cutter and my scissors.  A curious 4 1/2 yr old is certain to hurt herself if she wakes up early and I leave them around.  I either lock them in my sewing box or put them on the top of my fridge.  Safety is a priority as a mother and I am always checking the kitchen to see what they could get into.  I have to mention that this is the child that would always find the one cleaner I left out when she was a young toddler.  Sadly, her dad taught her how to spray a water bottle when she was super little.  I called poison control many, MANY times when she was a toddler.  They are the most amazing people ever!!!  They are there to make sure that you and your child are fine and they often call for follow ups.  I like them more than my actual doctor sometimes and I love our pediatrician.

Anyways, random...Hope you enjoyed.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Ooooh, I really REALLY like this---can't wait to see more :)