Friday, December 19, 2008

Project Rag Quilt: started, worked on, completed

Wow. I can't tell you how long it has taken to work on this quilt. I started working on it 4 1/2 years ago, before I had bought my own first machine and learned how to sew anything else. But, I was told that a rag quilt was the easiest to learn on. Well, everyone is right about that, but it isn't that great when you are continually changing your mind on what to do.

So, I first set out to find material. I think that I went to about 6 stores before I found the plaids that I liked. Then, I asked everyone for spare jeans. My dad and my brother quickly gave me about 20 pair and I was set to go. Not long after starting my project, I started dating my husband. He goes through at least one pair of jeans a month because of his work. So, he began donating jeans for my cause. He thought that I was making a straight jeans quilt and was a little disappointed when he found out that it wasn't. (But, I have enough jeans to make him his jean quilt. That is the next project.)

Well, I had to move the supplies to 4 different homes and each time I would work on the quilt I would cut out some more, assemble and then sew a little. I first started out thinking that it was going to be a twin size. Then, I was going to finish it for the wedding and use it for our bed. So it changed to a queen size. Of course, that was before I found out that my husband doesn't want or like the cabin-like look in bedrooms. So, then I stopped working on it for a year because I didn't where or what I was going to do with it.

This problem was solved this summer when I went to my in-laws cabin for a weekend. I had decided to just finish it so that I didn't have to store the fabric in my dresser anymore. I was working on it and laying it out on my in-laws bed at the cabin and decided that I would finish it and give it to them to put on their bed. (Which, by the way, means that I get to use it anytime that they are not at the cabin!!!) Their bed is a CALIFORNIA KING!!! Wow, so it just kept getting bigger and bigger. Here's a preview of it on the bed at the cabin this summer. (While it didn't have the last row.)And, HERE IT IS!!! All FINISHED!!! (Shown on a king size bed which is 6 inches longer in length and 4 inches smaller on the width.)The original fabric for the binding was a tan plaid, however, I didn't buy enough 4 years ago and try finding a match was almost impossible. It just isn't to be found. Then the other night I was cutting up squares for the last row around. I was going to make it green in each square. I had just finished cutting the strips and was about to begin the squares and realized that I had cut them way way toooo small. So, instead of finding more fabric I used the strips for the binding that it turned out great! (You can sort of see the binding in this picture.) Now I will get to cut the rag part on our drive to Vegas for Christmas to give it to them. When we head back to the cabin after the snow melts I am going to measure the window and make a matching valence to look like this one that I found at Cabela's.I am going to ask them if they like the squares turned like this or square like the next one. The last touch will take some time, but I think that a bed skirt made out of just levi would be awesome underneath. We will have to see what comes in time. Hope that you enjoy! I am excited and happy to finally be finished.

1 comment:

sillymama said...

This is Russell's Aunt Carol here. Amazing! A baby quilt is one thing but it is absolutely amazing that you were able to get a king size quilt done. My paternal grandma was always piecing quilts for us when I was growing up. I still have my Sunbonnet Sue. I wonder, would that be an antique now (since I am!)? Take care and we'll see you at Christmas.