Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Buying patterns and kids sewing machine

I don't enjoy making clothes.  There is something about reading the patterns, adding all the little details like zippers and hooks and such that I just don't like at all.  However, I think that it is important to teach a young sewer how to look for them and find them.  If my daughter ends up enjoying sewing, she should know what her options are when she comes to a point where she wants to create.  3 years ago I snapped this shot..

Gah, she was so young.  She didn't even have glasses yet.  She has had glasses for as long as I can remember now. 

For Christmas I purchased an apron pattern and fabric to make it and wrapped it up in a box for her.  She wanted to sew last Sat, so I pulled it out and set her loose.  She got the pattern cut out before we needed to get some other stuff done.  I purchased that little purple Janome sewing machine on Amazon for her 6th birthday 2 years ago.  Giving a child a machine: has it's pro's and con's.  It is nice that she can sew herself.  It is frustrating trying to teach her how to put the bobbin in and thread the machine esp. since trying to pull the thread through the needle with the safety guard on the foot is SO frustrating.  I also need to get her a little light to attach to the machine so she can see better.  Otherwise, I have enjoyed that she has the freedom to create and try and discover things.  While the machine goes a constant fast speed which is a medium speed on my own machine, I like the little machine and how light weight it is.  It is nice to have something little to grab when I need a machine to go to a quick church sewing activity when I don't want to carry my bigger machine around.  I just have to be more patient when sewing because it takes more time. 



Hopefully, I find time to sit down and work with her on the apron this coming Sat so she can feel the accomplishment of finishing something fun.

Hope you enjoyed. 

No comments: