Monday, January 22, 2018

My current scrap quilt

While I have been spending hours, looking through 4 years of photos to play catch up on my blog I have been sewing a new fun project for just me.  Back in 2011, I made this quilt.  It is still my favorite summer quilt.  It has been fun, going through my fabric in my #destash during the past 3 years.  I kept all the scraps from that quilt...from the extra border fabric to the small triangles I cut off.  I found the small bag 2 weeks ago and decided that I needed to make a fun quilt just for me.  So I spent hours looking through a google search of HST scrappy quilts.  I came across this quilt from Red Pepper Quilts 



and knew it was the perfect inspiration for me.  I wish that I had purchased a light grey fabric instead of Charcoal brown over the Christmas Break when I was purchasing some more white fabric from Connecting Threads, but in the end I think that the darker grey worked out in my favor.

I pulled all the scraps out and separated them into color piles.  I put several of them together to gauge what size to cut the grey at.  They end up being 2 3/4 in squares of grey that I cut in half to be triangles.

(The other stack of scraps that I am still trying to decide what to do with)

I got them all sewn together.  


I stayed up late, spent a few hours studying some spanish with some spanish podcasts and got them ironed and squared off. 


I laid them out the next day (which happened to be my last day of Christmas break) and then spent the day laying them out and then sewing them together.  I had started with my cutting mat laying it out on the kitchen table and then realized that it would be slightly smaller, so I had Russ help me move it to the living room floor to finish the layout.  I spent a while moving the extra border fabric I had from my summer quilt around this quilt until decided how to do it.



I realized as I was going through my old blog posts that I often don't get around to showing the final product of my many creations.  I usually show the point where the top is done, but it isn't quilted or bound.  I am determined to catch up on the quilts that I have made in the past 4 years and show their finished stages.  I finished this top on Thur last week.  I did get it spray basted and ready for machine quilting.  However, I don't want to unplug my machine to move it to the kitchen table to sew. So, I haven't finished it yet.  I have the exact amount of binding left over from my summer quilt to finish this quilt, so all I have to do just get it machine quilted.

In my home, this often happens.  I can whip up like 12-13 tops of quilts or table runners, get them baste sprayed and pinned and then they sit on the back of my recliner or bar stools for months.  Half the time its because I am too busy to get back to them, 1/4 of the time I can't decided how to machine quilt them, and 1/4 I just want to make new things or have gifts I need to make instead.  But, I have been much better about deciding that I need to finish making something before I do anything else.  Someday soon I hope to have a finished sewing area with cupboards and counter space to keep everything clean so that the clutter doesn't take away from my time to sew either as I am constantly having to move things from my sewing area to my storage area over and over to keep my house clean.

So, I will get the quilt machine quilted tomorrow, bound, whip stitched and get that up and posted in record time.  Unlike the past when I was running around like crazy working 3 jobs, my hours have settled down considerably since my husband finally got on fulltime at the post office a year ago and I don't have to work as much.  We both have Tuesdays off and it is super nice and fun to have a set time to sew now if I want.

Hope you enjoyed.

No comments: