Thursday, January 25, 2018

Quilted Christmas Stockings

Several years ago, my sister in law told me that she had purchased Christmas fabric to make their Christmas stockings.  In Nov 2016, I asked her what she wanted for Christmas.  She knows that I get super busy at work during the Christmas season as a ballet accompanist with Nutcracker, my normal hours at the University and other side jobs I take on.  But, honestly, I am a terrible gift person.  I really have a hard time coming up with unique and cool gifts that really fit the person that is receiving them.  Gift cards all the way in my house.  So, when someone just tells me what they want, it is such a relief!!  Honestly, a relief.  Knowing what they want is so much easier.

So, she asked how hard a quilted Christmas stocking would be.  She sent me this link from Cluck Cluck Sews website.  She loved the way the blocks looked in her stockings.  I told her that wouldn't be a problem at all.  She came by my house one day after I had cut up the the half square triangles, sewed, ironed and squared them off.  We laid them out.  We made each of them different designs.  It was so much fun.  I actually love that each of them are different.  At the time she had 2 children, but she knew that she wanted to try and have 4 so we made 2 extras.  She has since had one more, so I am glad that we made the extra then.





We spent hours texting/emailing back and forth as we spent the next 2 days deciding which way the boot should face.  To the right, to the left, to the right, to the left.  I had started sewing together and finished two the blocks when she decided it need to be changed.  I love her, unpicked it, sewed it the next one on only one of them and sent her a picture.  Uh, she decided that she liked the original way better.  So, I double, triple checked, unpicked it again and then got them all sewn up.


So, then the next phase started.  I had my husband draw up a boot shape to make these.


I decided that I was going to quilt them with just a straight line to not take away from the designs we had made.  I end up not attaching the cuff to the stocking the way that Cluck Cluck did in their tutorial, but honestly, I can't remember just how I did attach them.  We used the font cf national stitches for the lettering.  I cut out each letter and attached them with steam a seam 2. Then I hand stitched around the edges of the letters.


Then I hand stitched around the edges of the letters to give it its final personalized touch.   


I love how they turned out!!!



So, can you guess what happened when I was finished?  There were of course pieces left over.  So, I made her a table runner as a surprise gift with the left over pieces coupled with a fabric I had in my stash that matched her fabrics so well.



I like it so much, I made myself and my aunt matching table runners and gifted those as well!!  Haha!!  Honestly though, I just ran across the pictures of everything I sewed for Christmas gifts in 2016 and am amazed that I was able to finish all that I did last year.  I can't wait to finish the posts on the other gifts I made.  They were so much fun. 

Hope you enjoyed!!

No comments: