Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Crafting with my cricut and my heat gun

So I really love to sew but I do do a lot of crafts that don't involve my sewing machine. I really do love my cricut machine and Russ is so wonderful and let me buy a gypsy last spring and I have been doing all sorts of projects with it. My favorite part of my gypsy is that I can not take and make my own words by combining all the letters together in the designing program.

My most recent gypsy project was putting some vinyl lettering on a bunch of pictures around the house. In Madalynn's bedroom I have several different pictures and I wanted them to say why I put them up in her room. This picture is of a blooming Azalea. I thought that New Life would be appropriate. I really wanted three pictures on the shelf, one blooming, one in full bloom and one picture of a beautiful bush, but Russ told me two was sufficient. I thought that each would be a representation of the growth of a child from birth to maturity to her influence in the world and beauty that she can create.This picture had a different caption but Russ asked me to take it off and simply put Azalea. I do like it, it just wasn't exactly what I was thinking.
I put up a picture of Christ holding a child and pointing at a butterfly. The title of the picture is "Precious in His Sight." As she grows I want her to know that she is always precious and so i put the lettering on the frame. I also put up two pictures of Azalea's. That is her middle name, so it was very appropriate. You can't see the lettering too well, but I think that the shelf turned out great and I finally got this wall hanging put up. I am still working on this wall hanging. I am looking for some cute off-white buttons to sew onto the middle of each square.
I have had the following picture frame since the first month we were married almost 4 years ago. Yes...it took this long to put the picture in the frame and get it finished, but I am glad that I did. I want lots of pictures up in our house of all stages of our lives and i think that collage pictures really help me do that.
Here is the frame of Madalynn's early pictures. It really is time to get the one done of her 6 month and year old pictures.
Russ has a bunch of scrap wood out on our back patio. I have always wanted a few of those vinyl saying up in my house. I found the following saying on a tile at some Boutique that I went to and knew that I wanted this saying put up with my wedding pictures. So, I designed the saying on my gyspy and had Russ cut the board. The whole time I was not sure what color I wanted to paint it and what color I wanted the vinyl letters. All my wedding picture frames are a red color with a little black antiquing on the edges of the rope design. I wanted the saying to kind of pop out and so I thought that a white lettering would really stand out. The only problem I had was that a black background would look great but be really dull. So, I got out some of my acrylic stamps to work with on this project. I decided to use some clear embossing powder to stamp an image onto the black background that would enhance the background but not take away from the saying. I love how it turned out. I hope that you can see the glossy image on the background in the picture.
After I had finished the saying, I looked at the following picture frame. We got this picture from someone for our wedding. So I took a stamp and turned it around and around creating variations on the image and poured on the embossing powder, used my heat gun to create the image, and yay!! I love how it turned out and adds just enough to the picture frame to make it not quite so plain but not too decorative.
Well, I hope that you enjoyed. It is really nice to feel like I have finished projects and have moved onto other things to make my home feel more homey.

No comments: