Saturday, May 28, 2011

done, done and done day

Almost every Sat. I get to just be home with my daughter. Russ works on Sat. at the post office which is officially his only guaranteed day of work, so he only misses it on the rarest of occasions. Well, Madalynn is pretty independent so I usually work a lot around the house and get some projects done. Because of my light work load this week and last, I don't have a lot to do. I stayed up late last night to clean the house so that I would not feel guilty about spending most of my day working crafts. Well, I finished some projects that have been in the works since last Christmas that during the semester I simply don't have time to get done.

Well, this is totally shameful. This is my Christmas present to my mom..last Christmas. I got the top done before Christmas, but just put the batting on today, quilted and finished putting on the binding. I quilted it with my darning foot, which I really need more practice with and I need Russ to make me an arm extension so that I can actually get the quilt up on the arm without any problems. I found the pattern for this quilt at Pine Needles at Gardner Village in Midvale, UT.

The pattern is called Charlotte and is put out by Me and My Sister Designs (one of my favorite couple designers. You should see their new hop scotch patterns. You can sign up to receive their emails when new things come by clicking on their blog.)

My mom and I were shopping in the shops one day and she saw this quilt. It was the first time I had ever been in a quilting store where my mom really liked a quilt. So, I went and to find the pattern. After a lot of searching they found it. It was a single sheet of paper. Well, I knew that I would need to get the same fabric line and so I kept my eye out for it to possibly go on sale. Well, it did. At the Quilting Cottage in American Fork, UT they had a sale on the whole line during their shop hop. I bought a fat quarter bundle like 40% off for the whole line. I don't know the exact line anymore, but it is the 1930's reproduction type fabric. I was ecstatic. I didn't tell my mom and got the whole top done..before I had to call her and tell her I was making it. She is very specific about what she likes, so I had to call and find out how she wanted it quilted and what fabric she wanted for the binding. So, I took it with me over Christmas Break to Vegas last Dec. and only got the binding ready and never finished sewing it. So, yesterday I realized that I was done with a lot of my projects and I saw it sitting on my "projects in the works" shelf. She is coming down tomorrow to go to the cemetery by our apartment so I thought that it would be a great time to get it done. So, here is the long process done.Here is a look at the quilting from the back. I chose a light yellow thread that would show up a bit but not take away from the quilt. I used my darning foot to quilt this. It a little scary trying this quilting thing. However, it turned out ok. The hardest part for me is finding a speed to move to create a steady stitch. Madalynn needed my attention like every five minutes and so it was crazy hard to keep it the same. I tried at least. I also like to move fast in everything that I do..so it is really tricky to stay slow and steady to just keep moving through. Also, I have never been a good drawer and this is basically like drawing, but with a machine.

Here is a close up.
And another look.
Russ' Nana asked for some pictures of Madalynn almost a year ago and she is going to be in town this week for his other cousins high-school graduation....so we finally!!! printed out some pictures. She wanted a frames with multiple pictures, so this is what I bought. I pulled out my gypsy, cricut and vinyl this morning and designed a saying and got it on the frame. I am happy that is done and ready to go. I am grateful that Russ let me buy a gypsy. I really could not do what I like to with my cricut without it. The ability to design letters together is probably my favorite part. My second favorite part is that I can see all the images on the cartridges on my screen rather than having to look through the manuals. That third, the fact that I don't have to carry around my cartridges when I take my machine somewhere for a craft day. Ah...sigh. It is one my new tools that I just could not live without.
Speaking about tools that I can't live without...I am compiling a list of my craft room necessities. I am going to write a whole post on my necessities. I have recently discovered that I can't quilt without gloves with sticky bottoms. They are the best things in the world. It is such a small thing and only cost like $2 at Home Depot, but very necessary.

Hope that you enjoy.

No comments: