Sunday, May 22, 2011

Marcus and Megan's denim quilt

Ok, I am totally ashamed of how long it has taken me to post these pictures. My brother Marcus and his wife Megan gave me tons of their old jeans and I thought that I would make a large quilt for them for Christmas. I asked them what they wanted it to look like and their only stipulations were: something scrappy and something that showed off the fun parts of their old jeans. Megan had some great jeans that she wore in high-school. You will see them in a bit. The VERY best part of the project--haha it totally wasn't but--I found cash in the pocket of one of the jeans. A single dollar bill, but I thought that it was funny.

So I started just cutting out strips and squares and such. I already had a bunch of 5in squares cut out for making another quilt that helped sooooo much in this project. When i was sewing the quilt together and I needed and inch of fabric to fudge a seam I just pulled out a square and added some fabric.

I really chose a good time to work on the project since we were living in a house that had a huge finished basement. I went and got my grandma's quilting frame and set it up. It was really tricky since the fabric was sooooo heavy. My mom gave me the push pins that were her grandma's and my husband bought me C-clamps. Megan bought the backing and the yarn and off I went.

Yep, I love love love it. Now that I am posting these pictures I am remembering how much I want a quilt like this for our living room. (You know for those days when the house is to cold, but you don't want to turn up the heat, or for cuddling with your hubby watching a movie :)

These are the pictures that Marcus took after they took it home. I was working so hard last Christmas that I didn't take picture of anything! My bad. I am not sure what size it end up, but it was large enough to cover someone on the couch :) For your enjoyment:

The whole quilt. I tied it just as scrappy as I pieced it.
The back is blue flannel.
Pockets from various jeans was a definite must.
This is a design from the pair of Megan's jeans where I found the dollar bill. I really can't get enough of the flower design so I had to put nearly a whole leg of pants into the quilt.



I think that it looks great. Yep, I need to get working on my own now.

2 comments:

sillymama said...

As always, absolutely stellar work. We shop second hand a lot and it has happened often enough that my kids routinely search the pockets of used jeans looking for forgotten dollars.

Amalie said...

I love that your kids look for forgotten dollars. That is really awesome. I will have to think about that when I am shopping for used clothes next time.