Monday, May 23, 2011

My bedroom

After Russ and I bought bedroom furniture when we were first married, I got pretty excited to decorate our bedroom. Since we have moved a lot in the past few years, I never can really decorate each home in the same way, so all my other rooms change. However, while our furniture may be in different locations in the bedroom, it is always the same furniture. Russ favorite color is green and so we were going to do the room in a sage green and I decided to accent it with a dark green and some tans. The bedroom furniture is dark and has a redish hue to it, so I thought that those colors would not clash.

I made the following table runner first. It was my very first attempt at a really binding...and i hated it. I looked at it for two years with its bumps, whole between the squares where the seams didn't finish, the batting was the wrong size and didn't fit the whole thing and so it was lumpy in spots and I didn't even try to quilt it in anyway to keep the layers together. It was just too long to do without any kind of quilting. So, six months ago i started working on table runners for the top of our other dresser and the two end tables to keep the tops of the furniture nice and without scratches. That is when I decide it was time to take this table runner apart, fix all the squares (I had originally cut them without even a template), put new batting inside, run a stitch in the ditch around each square and a quilted pattern down the very middle squares of the runner and put on a new binding. ya, it was worth the time. I love it now!!!
I made three other runner that followed the exact same pattern so they would all match. here are some of the pictures. In our current house one of the end tables does not fit in the bedroom so one of the runners is just in my closet being stored. Hopefully laying it out on the floor helps you see what the shape of all the rest of the runners look like.
This is a closer view to see the stitching around each square and the center pattern on each table runner.
When we moved into our most recent place, we moved into a small and modest basement apartment. The biggest problem was the location of our bedroom window. The basement sits a little higher above ground so you can actually see outside which is nice. The downfall is that we live on a somewhat busy corner and that headlights come straight into the window all night long as people turn onto our street. On top of that, there is a street light right on our corner. After a week, I told Russ that I was going to make curtains to help block out the light. I knew that I would use the thin cotton fabric to make the curtain but I would need to find something to put on the back to keep the sunlight and headlights out of our room. I was not excited about needing to buy fabric because I have sooooo much all over that I am trying to use without ever buying new fabric. So I went and spent an afternoon out at our storage unit going through my fabric boxes and i found a bolt of dark green corduroy fabric that someone had given me. It was perfect!!! It keeps out all light both night and day and also blocks some of the heat radiating off the window in the afternoon. I could not have been more happy with the final product or how quickly I made it (just two short afternoons)
I think I posted this wall hanging ages ago, but it is my next take apart and fix project. It is nice and does work, but I am going to quilt it and put on a matching binding to match all the rest of the projects in our room.
Ah...I only have three more planned projects and I am finished with our room. I want to make a couple pillows with this fabric to off set the plain sage green ones we have and put a mini-quilt that just goes across the foot of the bed when it is made. I am still deciding whether I would like to actually piece it together like the wall hanging to tie the wall hanging design into the room or just do 5 inch squares like the table runner. Eventually Russ would like to have a wood chest at the foot of our bed I will make a cover for that too. I also want to cover the small white lamp shade with matching fabric. I am pretty excited about the progress our room is making. It does make me happy to create whatever I want with my room, rather than leaving it to a design that I would have to buy from some company. Hope that you enjoyed.

No comments: